A Great Day Fishing In Fort Lauderdale With A Special Person

October 8, 2011

October 2, 2011

Last Saturday, April asked me to take her fishing. The weather was going to be nice on Sunday, so I broke out an electric fishing reel to try some daytime swordfishing. Saturday night I invited my buddy Andrew  to go along so we could have an extra hand on board. He said sure, and he’d bring his girlfriend Sam, so everything was good. We woke up at 5:30 am on Sundaywith a little more wind than expected, but we decided to go anyway. We launched the boat and were about 10 miles offshore when the girls said it was too rough to continue, so we turned around. On the way back to the dock the girls decided they wanted to try some sailfishing. With a dozen frisky pilchards in the live well, the decision to fish was made. The wind was blowing about 20-30 knots out of the north so it was a little bumpy offshore, but the seas were smoother nearshore. Four live baits were put out and we made our first drift near the whistle buoy in 150 feet of water (about 1 mile offshore). It wasn’t long before the kingfish started chopping us off. We saw a few man-o-war birds working in shallow so we picked up and ran in to see what was happening. The birds were tracking a huge school of ballyhoo with at least a dozen nice mahi mahi crashing the school. A quick cast out with live baits and all four of us were tight on nice fish. In less than 15 minutes we had all landed fish over 12 lbs. All this action was in 35 feet of water right in front of Port Everglades inlet. We eventually lost the ballyhoo school so we ran back to 100 feet of water, put the baits back out, and in 25 minutes Andrew hooked a sailfish and passed the rod to Sam. It was her first sailfish ever! After she got it behind the boat, we popped the hooks, released the fish, then ran back in to the shallows and anchored to chum up some more bait. In one throw of the cast net I was able to load the baitwell with ballyhoo. We spotted the birds just outside, in forty feet of water, baited up and caught a couple more nice mahi mahi. We also jumped off another nice sail. All in all, our daytime “swordfishing” trip sure was productive.

April's Day

Good People

Tight Lines,

Captain David Ide

954 761 8045


Email us ladypamela2@bellsouth.net






Rough seas yield sailfish bonanza!

My wife and I arrived late on November 19th, as our taxi driver took us on a unscheduled (you know what I mean) tour. Captain David calmly assured me that we would still make out fine, and in fact the rough seas that day were actually a good sign and improved our chances of a sailfish strike. We stopped to pick up some of the best bait available which they call google-eyes (small extra cost, highly recommended). They fish sailfish with kites in south Florida if weather permits. I’ve fished with a kites before, but not in the same manner as the crew of the Lady Pamela II. This windy day they flew two kites with multiple baits on each. It was truly a sight to see and they explained everything as they were going, so it was very interesting and educational too. It wasn’t long before one of the orange floats was zig-zagging across the water and the mate grabbed the rod and free spooled for a few moments before gradually pushing the drag up to strike. Just as he did this, the orange ball seemingly flew horizontally across the top of the water at an amazing speed (I swear as fast as a car) for about 100 yards…the sail was hooked and the rush was exhilarating! I took the rod and began fighting the fish just as I heard the captain and mate discussing that this was a very large sailfish…smiles were all around the boat. The fish put on an incredible fight lasting about 25 minutes and did a few amazing jumps, dancing across the top of the water for 20 feet at a time. We eventually brought the fish to the boat and it was an impressive 7 feet, 3 inches long! (I’m on the left in the picture)There were high fives all around. I’m having it replica-mounted, and it will be a long overdue addition to my present collection. A few moments later we were on another large sail which my wife fought for 20 minutes (we have some incredible footage of jumps on my GoPro) and got just outside the reach of the leader when it unfortunately pulled the circle hook. She was tired and a bit sore after, so when a third sailfish was hooked, I fought this one all the way to the leader too! Later in that day we hit a school of Mahi-Mahi which devoured all the baits in the water in seconds…another rush and it also provided some supper as well. Lady Pamela II was one of the most comfortable boats I’ve fished on, and definitely was family friendly with a clean and spacious restroom as well. David and his crew were professional and courteous and I would have no hesitation recommending them for a family outing, or to experienced deep sea fishermen like us. The trip was a magical memory that we will never forget. Thanks David!